Friday, October 28, 2011

Shark Finning Awareness in School

In 7th grade, we have seven periods. I have English first, and for some reason our teacher always makes us watch CNN Student News. Usually, we pick a topic from it and write about it but today, we just watched it for fun. Surprisingly, it talked about shark finning near the end of the video. It talked about how so many species were endangered and how important they are to us. It showed somebody handling dried shark fins and people in my class were like "Eww!" and one person even said "Poor sharks". The video showed some people getting the water with reef sharks and somebody in my class yelled out "Stupid!". One of my friends beside me said "What if it thought you were fish and tried to eat you?". "They usually won't bite anything bigger than themselves" I said nicely. After the video the same person who yelled 'stupid' said "We eat sharks, sharks eat us. So what?". I didn't say anything but I wanted to say "Look, sharks kill only like 5 people a year and we kill 100 million of them a year. That is so not cool." but I thought it was better to keep my mouth shut because she was kind of a rude person anyway and I didn't want to make her mad. I thought that it was very good that we saw that today in school though. I was just thinking a few weeks ago, "Wouldn't it be neat if the student news talked about threats to the ocean?". I was really excited to see it on there, not for me but so other people could see it. But of course, it didn't go into a lot of detail so most people probably won't think anything about it. But at least it's a start.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you should give a presentation to your class on this topic??

    ReplyDelete