Saturday, September 10, 2011

I'm now a Shark Angel

I just registered as a Shark Angel and I'm so happy! I also signed up for Shark Savers a while back. I can't believe I went from not caring about sharks about a year ago to loving them and wanting to save them right now.

When I was little, I was fascinated with them and loved watching shows about them with my dad. As I got older, I thought they were cool but I wasn't all for saving them. I didn't even know about shark finning. Suddenly, for a reason which I think is ridiculous, I began to go against them. I knew of shark finning, but it didn't bother me. I viewed them as big stupid animals that had no purpose. I hated them and cared nothing about the conservation of them. A few months later, I flew over to Atlanta Georgia to stay for a few days. I went to the Georgia aquarium, the world's largest aquarium. I did the Planet Shark exhibit which had sharks' importance awareness, information on prehistoric species, finning threats, and a fully preserved frozen mako shark. After that day, I no longer hated sharks.

It's only been in the last couple months that I've really loved sharks and cared about them. I don't know how I could have ever hated them and not been bothered by the horrible murder of them that takes place every single day. I didn't think that I could do much to help sharks. I just hoped that activists would help. But no. You don't have to live by the sea or even get out of your house to be an activist. I am only 12, and here's what I've done:

Made this blog

Signed a petition to ban the shark fin trade in the U.S, which is my country

Became a Shark Angel

Joined Shark Savers

Watched Sharkwater

Educated myself through books and the internet to know what's truly going on

Now I know it may not seem like much compared to some other activists, but what more can a 13 year old do? I could donate, but if I donated I'd want to use my own money not my parents'. If it was my parents' money, I wouldn't feel like that I was doing it. If I could, I'd donate to local humane societies and SPCAs, shark conservation websites, and savejapandolphins.org. But I just don't know what my parents would think about it. When I am older, into college, and into my own house I'll be able to help animals even more. I'll be able to help them directly, through travel and a career. But as of now, I'll just have to wait, updating my blog with my latest news and feelings. But I'm very proud of what I've done already.

You can become a Shark Angel or Cherub at sharkangels.com

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure your parents are very proud of you. You are doing a great job. Keep up the good work. We need more young people like you promoting oceanic conservation measures. Keep blogging and reading. You'll do bigger things...I'm sure of it.

    ReplyDelete